Are you thinking of improving the landscaping of your yard in order to increase your home’s curb appeal or reduce the amount of time you spend maintaining your yard in the evenings and on the weekends? When you make the decision to landscape your yard, you have two choices, you can do all the work yourself as a DIY project, or you can hire a professional.
Professional Landscape Design
Hiring a professional is a good idea if you do not know anything about landscaping, don’t fully know what you want and don’t know the types of plants that grow well in your climate. A professional landscaper has the experience and knowledge to help you create simple and complex landscaping designs that meet your needs so that you can enjoy your outdoor spaces with your family instead of spending all your free-time working in your yard. They can suggest the correct plants for your local climate and test your soil to ensure that the plants chosen will grow and thrive. They’ll also be able to suggest improvements that you may not have considered, like adding outdoor lighting and paths and walkways to the favorite parts of your yard. They also know how to optimize landscaping for small and large yards.
Pros of Professional Landscape Design
- You don’t have to perform any physical work on your yard.
- You can get professional advice on how to best landscape your yard.
- You can decrease the amount of maintenance you perform on your yard.
- It takes less time to physically landscape your yard when you hire a professional.
Cons of Professional Landscape Design
- It’s more expensive than a DIY project
- It can take time to fully plan your new yard with your professional landscaper.
- You probably won’t be able to get started this weekend because the landscaper needs time to order your plants and the other materials for your new yard.
DIY Landscape Design
If you like working in your yard and have a detailed landscaping plan already in your head, you may do well performing your landscaping as a DIY project. Doing all your landscaping yourself allows you to precisely control your costs and the entire project. Of course, this means you’ll have to purchase all the tools, plants and other materials for your new yard and either have them delivered by your local home improvement store or transport them to your property in your vehicle.
Pros of DIY Landscape Design
- You can fully implement your personal design.
- You can start on your project immediately.
- You can precisely control your costs, according to your immediate and long-term budget.
Cons of DIY Landscape Design
- If you aren’t used to strenuous labor, you may injure yourself.
- You have to buy all the materials, tools and equipment.
- You’ll have to do all the work for your landscaping project.
- You may accidentally purchase the wrong plants for your soil type.
- If you have pets, you may accidentally purchase plants that are poisonous to cats and dogs.
Deciding to DIY Your Landscaping Project or Hire a Professional
When it comes to choosing whether or not to perform your landscaping project as a DIY project or with the help of a professional landscaper, it often comes down you your budget, knowledge and how much work you want to do yourself. If you don’t know anything about plants and landscaping, you’ll want to hire a professional. If you love doing all the work yourself and have a good idea of how you want your yard to look, a DIY project may work for your needs. Of course, you always have the option of doing some of your landscaping yourself then hiring a company to perform the complex projects, like installing new trees, creating pathways and installing masonry.