Many people think of Chicago as a city filled with murder and crime, but what about all the amazing things it has to offer? Is Chicago really a dangerous place? Or is it the home of the Blues, The Bean, and Wrigley Field? The city of Chicago has been in the news for all the wrong reasons lately. They’ve had more than their fair share of shootings and murders. Sure, that’s not exactly uncommon for many big cities these days, but does that mean you should avoid visiting this great city? Clearly not! If you are planning a visit to Chicago any time soon then check out our top reasons why you should visit Chicago right now. If you live there or just pass through occasionally then this will be great to read too.
Is Chicago A Good Place To Visit?
Yes, Chicago is a great place to visit. There is a lot to do there and the weather is nice most of the year. You can visit some of the city’s famous attractions like the Willis Tower and Millennium Park. You can also go hiking at one of the many state parks in the area. If you’re looking for something to do at night, you can check out one of the many music festivals that are held in Chicago each year.
Why Chicago Is A Good Place To Visit?
The Art Institute of Chicago
The Art Institute of Chicago is one of the top five most popular cultural attractions in the entire US. It’s actually the top tourist attraction in Chicago and has been since the 1980s. Even though it’s known as an art museum, it also has a great collection of architecture that dates back to the late 19th century. It is also home to the world’s largest gathering of impressionist and post-impressionist paintings, which makes it a must-visit for art lovers.
For a truly memorable experience, take a stroll along the Lakefront Trail. It’s a 16-mile walkway along Lake Michigan that connects 13 parks. You can either walk the entire trail or just visit a couple of the parks along the path. The walk is absolutely stunning year-round, but especially during the summer months when you can enjoy the beach as well.
Vivian Maier and architectural walking tours
Vivian Maier was a professional photographer who worked as a nanny for a family in Chicago during the 1950s and ’60s. She had no idea that her old negatives and the unprocessed film would turn into a multi-million-dollar business years later. Her collection has been featured in exhibitions around the world and is now housed at the Institute of Humanities in Chicago. You can find out more about Vivian Maier and her work on one of the architectural walking tours offered by Architecture for Humanity Chicago. The tours are led by architects and experts in the field who take you to the most iconic buildings in the city. You can see the inside of a few buildings as well.
Millennium Park, Cloud Gate, and the bean
Millennium Park is one of Chicago’s most iconic and popular places to visit. It’s a public park that’s home to many attractions, most notably the Cloud Gate sculpture, colloquially known as the bean, and the Jay Pritzker Pavilion which hosts various concerts and events throughout the year. The park is also home to an outdoor skate park, an interactive fountain, public art exhibitions, and much more. There’s really something for everyone in this park.
Food lover’s paradise: Where to eat in Chicago
If you’re a foodie, then Chicago is the place to be. It has been named the best city in America for foodies by several publications so you know it must be good. There are several neighborhoods in the city worth visiting if you’re a foodie. The Wicker Park neighborhood is known for its diverse culinary scene with a wide range of options for everyone. The Lincoln Square neighborhood is the best place to visit if you love Italian food. The West Loop neighborhood is home to many top-rated restaurants and is definitely worth visiting if you’re in town.
Is Chicago A Safe Place To Visit?
- Before we get too excited about all the amazing things to do in Chicago, let’s talk about the elephant in the room. Yes, there have been some high-profile shootings and murders in the city recently, but let’s not forget that this is a city of 2.7 million people.
- That means that statistically, you have a much higher chance of being involved in some kind of incident here than you do in smaller cities. What’s more, if you are sensible and stay away from areas where you are likely to come into contact with gang violence, then you’ll be fine.
- When you are in Chicago you must remember to keep an eye on your belongings at all times and avoid walking around at night in some of the more poverty-stricken and crime-ridden areas of the city. Take a cab if you think you might be in a bad neighborhood.
What’s There For Tourists To Do In Chicago?
- If you want to visit Chicago, there are plenty of amazing things to do. From the famous Navy Pier to the incredible architecture of the Frank Lloyd Wright buildings, Chicago has so much to offer.
- There are so many Museums to visit in Chicago. The Art Institute of Chicago is one of the best Museums in the world, and its collection of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist art is one of the finest in the world.
- The Museum of Science and Industry (MSI) is a great place to visit if you have kids or are just interested in science, engineering, and technology.
- You can also experience some of the best theatres in the world. The Goodman Theatre has been putting on classic plays for over 80 years and you’ll love the experience.
Why Is Chicago So Influential?
- If you want to visit a city that is influential and has shaped the world then you could do a lot worse than Chicago.
- The city has been home to some of the most important developments in history, many of which have changed the way we live our lives.
- Chicago is where modern architecture was born, where Farm to table cuisine was perfected, and it’s also where the idea of the skyscraper was first conceived.
What Are The Downsides Of Visiting Chicago?
- Chicago is a huge and very busy city, which means that it can be very difficult to get around if you don’t have a car. The public transport system is not great and the traffic can get pretty bad during rush hour.
- If you don’t have a car, then you should plan to do everything on foot. This is not a bad thing, but it does mean that you will cover less ground and spend more time walking around. The weather in Chicago can be very extreme, and it rains a lot.
- This can make visiting the gardens and parks in the summer a bit of a challenge, as they are not very well covered. If you do visit in the winter, be prepared for very cold temperatures.
Chicago is a city that has its problems, but it is also a city that is full of history and culture. Furthermore, it is a city that is very easy to get to, and it is a very cheap place to visit. If you want to visit a city that offers something for everyone, and you are looking for a cheap holiday, Chicago is a great choice.