Many of us need screen recording for different purposes, whether it be for recording meetings, tutorials, or other videos. Screen recording allows viewers to go back over important material, capture individual moments, and share recordings with others. With the right app, you can create and edit your own masterpieces, just like you would with photo editors. How to choose the best one, though?
Let’s take a look at some of the criteria used in rating screen recording apps and see how they stack up against each other. Before you head out to buy one, you’ll need to determine which features you need. Not all screen recording software offer the same features, so you’ll want to be sure that you know what is available so that you can make a wise decision.
Some of the primary features that you should look for are the following:
- The ability to screen record on multiple platforms simultaneously, including screen, microphone, and webcam. Whatever you are recording, it is likely that your presentation will involve some degree of sophistication. Therefore, this multiple-platform function will likely be essential.
- The ability to add effects when editing recorded videos. Everyone wants to make their videos interesting, of course, so look for special effects capability while you’re shopping around. If you look at the world of digital advertising, you’ll see certain features that the pros are using. You want to emulate this professionalism as much as possible.
- Real-time sharing ability. While using your screen recorder, you may want to stream simultaneously to your audience. Several of the apps out there allow for this.
Now, let’s take a closer look at some of the particular software choices out there this year. In reviewing many of the available screen recording apps that have recently come out, these have made the top spots:
1. Movavi Screen Recorder
Particularly – but not only – for new users, Movavi is a favorite if you want to record screen on Mac. This is for several reasons:
- Movavi has an excellent user interface, and allows for easy trimming of your recordings to suit whatever length video you wish.
- It allows for the recording of any type of video, including flash animation, and for saving in multiple different formats.
- It has the ability to change speed and save in super-speed mode if you choose.
Apowersoft is a downloadable screen recorder known for being able to fulfill multiple functions simultaneously. It allows users to do the following:
- Record multiple screens or monitors at the same time
- Record in different screen modes, including partial screen
- Record from webcams
In addition to being free, OBS has a number of attractive features that have made it popular among users, including:
- Real-time source and device capture. This allows people to make decisions as they record, and live stream out to their audiences if they choose.
- It was given high points for its user interface.
- It was voted as a strong choice for creating professional videos.
Aiseesoft will allow you to make screen recording with several advantages:
- You can capture any screen activity and add narration on top of it.
- It contains a number of unique editorial features and graphics.
- It is highly customizable in terms of audio quality, video quality, etc.
5. FonePaw Screen Recorder
FonePaw Screen Recorder is a software that allows for a free trial and contains the following features:
- The ability to simultaneously record computer audio and microphone
- The ability to set featured length videos so as to standardize series
- An annotation feature
ShareX offers a variety of capturing options, and other features:
- “Scrolling capture” option
- Delayed capture
- “Optical character recognition,” which allows vision-impaired people to scan text and understand which characters are being focused on with audio assistance
QuickTime is a flexible software that allows you to play with your recordings creatively. Some of its outstanding features include:
- The ability to rearrange audio and video clips, create panoramic views, and other creative cuts.
- Movie software viewer. This means that you access content on the Internet in real time and share with others simultaneously.
- It is free.
In addition to allowing for a monthly payment option, CloudApp gets points from users for the following features:
- It is known for making really good GIFs.
- Recording completion immediately allows you to share your video on other platforms, including Google Suite and other non-Mac platforms.
- Screen recording Mac with audio. It includes an audio-only option if this is what you’re looking for.
This is another one that rates for its creative editing features. Screencast-O-Matic contains the following unique features:
- An interesting array of overlays. You can choose from a whole range of other visual effects, animations, and text options.
- It is simple and easy to use.
- Available for use on multiple platforms, including Mac and others.
Loom is another good option for creative types. It has several advantages:
- You can use the drawing tool to create your own graphics.
- It allows for easily editing out unwanted material.
- It is free.
Screencastify is made specifically for Chrome. It is useful for instructors or trainers.
- You can monitor the engagement of your viewers.
- It is user-friendly and will allow you to easily make your first recording.
- It has a “submit” feature which allows assignments to be officially turned in.
12. Adobe Captivate
Adobe Captivate is another online learning app that includes features intended to illustrate step-by-step instructions. You’ll find the following features on the app:
- The ability to create modules that can be found and used interchangeably.
- The ability to convert PowerPoint presentations into videos.
- VR capability
Start doing your research today
So, there you have it, the top ten screen recording apps in 2023. Again, you’ll want to think about what features are most important to you before making a decision. Are you a beginner and looking for ease of usage? Do you work in training and are looking for a program that will allow you to clearly illustrate step-by-step instructions? Are you making funky videos and looking for something that will provide interesting graphics? On a tight budget and looking for software that is free?
Whatever your criteria, just be sure to do your homework in advance so that you can make an informed choice. Whether it be for recreation or for business communication, choosing the right program is critical. And remember, new editions are coming out all the time. Keep your eyes peeled for upgrades to these and other software options so that you can stay on top of things and keep your videos as spectacular as possible.