The benefits of cleaner air are undeniable. Air purifiers not only remove odors and dust from the air in your home, but they also help protect you and your loved ones from harmful airborne particles that may trigger allergies or asthma, as well as airborne germs like bacteria and viruses. However, if you have a pet, this may cause concern about how safe it is for them to be around an air purifier. But fear not! With a few precautions in place, you can keep them safe while also enjoying the benefits of cleaner air. In this article, we’ll discuss whether or not pets are safe around air purifiers, what safeguards you should take when placing an air purifier in your home with pets, and some tips on which models are best for homes with pets.
Are Air Purifiers Safe For Pets?
Air purifiers are safe for pets, as long as you choose one that is designed for pet allergies. Look for an air purifier with a HEPA filter, as this will remove pet dander and other allergens from the air. You should also make sure that the air purifier you choose is the right size for your room, as this will ensure that it is effective at cleaning the air.
Safeguards For Keeping Pets Safe Around Air Purifiers
Keep the unit out of their reach
If you have a pet, you know that they can be curious creatures! They might poke their nose into areas where they shouldn’t, or they may even try to climb onto the air purifier itself. Therefore, it’s important to make sure that your pet can’t get anywhere near the air purifier. If your home isn’t large enough to do this, then you may want to keep the unit in an area where your pet can’t reach it.
Keep them away from the air purifier at all times
Some pets may be curious and try to pester their owner when they come home from work or school, but others are more likely to get aggressive when this happens. Therefore, you should keep them away from the air purifier at all times in order to prevent any accidents from happening!
Use a cover for the filter cartridge when not in use
This will prevent your pet from being able to reach or remove it so that it doesn’t become dirty and cause allergies or asthma issues for your pet later on down the road!
The Best Air Purifiers For Homes With Pets
Air Purifier for Pets – FURminator
FURminator’s air purifiers are specifically designed with cats in mind. As the name suggests, this model is meant to keep your pet safe from the harmful effects of airborne particles, including dust and dander. With a built-in HEPA filter and carbon filters, this model makes sure that all the harmful particles are removed from the air. It also comes with an extra set of filters for when your cat needs to be groomed, as well as a washable pad that can be used over and over again.
Air Purifier for Pets – Air Filtration Systems
This model is designed to keep your pets safe from airborne particles, but it’s also great for removing the allergens in your home. It has a HEPA filter that captures 99.97% of airborne particles, which means you won’t have to worry about any dust or dander getting into your home.
Air Purifier for Pets – Oreck Air Purifier
This is one of the most popular models available on Amazon and other online stores, as it’s built with pets in mind. It comes with a carbon filter that removes dust and dander while also capturing other harmful particles like pollen and smoke odors, as well as viruses and bacteria. It also comes with an extra set of filters that you can use when grooming your pet, which can last up to 6 months depending on how often they need them groomed. This model is perfect for homes with dogs because it has a special channel system that prevents furballs from forming in the air filtration system. Because it uses an electric fan to circulate air inside the unit, this model is quieter than other models, making it ideal for those who live in apartments or condos with no windows or vents to ventilate through.
Air Purifier for Pets – Petmate Air Filtration System
This model from Petmate has a built-in carbon filter that catches airborne particles like dust and dander while also capturing household odors such as mildew and smoke. It also comes with an extra set of filters for when your pet needs to be groomed, as well as a washable pad that can be used over and over again.
Air Purifier for Pets – Mr. Coffee Air Filtration System
This model from Mr. Coffee is perfect for keeping your pets safe from airborne particles while also removing odors and allergens in the air of your home. It has a carbon filter that traps dust and dander while also removing allergens like pollen, smoke, and mold spores. This unit also includes a washable filter that can last up to 6 months when properly cleaned, depending on how often you will be cleaning it after each use. This model is ideal for homes with cats because it has a special channel system that prevents furballs from forming in the air filtration system. Because it uses an electric fan to circulate air inside the unit, this model is quieter than other models, making it ideal for those who live in apartments or condos with no windows or vents to ventilate through.
Other Tips For Keeping Your Home Safer For Your Pet
- Keep your pet’s environment as clean as possible. If your pet is often exposed to dirt, dust, and other harmful substances in the air, then an air purifier may not be the best choice for you. In these cases, consider a whole house filter. These devices are designed to filter out dirt and debris from the air in your home before it enters your room. They can be installed under your carpet or under the floorboards in any room where you spend most of your time. For added protection, consider installing one in each of your pets’ favorite rooms as well.
- Consider installing a carbon monoxide detector in each room that pets spend time in (particularly if they sleep there). Carbon monoxide detectors can detect dangerous levels of carbon monoxide on their own without any help from an air purifier. If your home has a carbon monoxide detector that has a battery backup and will notify you when carbon monoxide is detected, then place one near or next to all areas where pets spend their time so that you can quickly take action if needed.
- Consider keeping small pets indoors during cold weather season – especially if they are not used to it! In cold weather, some animals may become exposed to too much cold air outside due to their breathing habits (such as panting) and need extra protection indoors for their health and safety during this season.
- Add an extra layer of protection by placing humidifiers around the house with pet-safe materials. Humidifiers are designed to add moisture to the air in your home, and they can help with the prevention of dry skin and nose issues in pets. However, some models of humidifiers for pets may not be safe for use around an air purifier, so consider getting a model that is specifically made for use near an air purifier.
- Consider installing a fan in each room where your pet spends most of its time to circulate fresh air throughout the space and keep it cool. This way, you can keep your pet’s environment as clean as possible while also allowing fresh air to flow through it all day long so that it doesn’t become stuffy and dry.
- If you want to keep cats away from an area where an air purifier is located, then consider installing a screen door or some type of barrier (such as a screen) on all sides of the room where you would like them to stay away from the area. This will allow them to see their environment but will keep them from being able to sneakily enter or exit through small openings that they may otherwise crawl through if there were no barriers present.
Air purifiers are an excellent way to improve indoor air quality, but it’s important to make sure you choose the right one for your specific needs. Some models are better suited for homes with pets than others, and with a few precautions in place, you can keep your pet safe while also enjoying the benefits of cleaner air. Most air purifiers meet the HEPA standard, which means they’re excellent at trapping small particles and allergens from the air in your home, but there are a few things you should keep in mind before placing one in your pet’s environment. Now that you know what to look for in an air purifier for a pet-friendly home, you can start shopping for a model that best suits your needs!