It’s easy to understand why you might want to throw your Vitamix blender in the dishwasher. After all, it’s one of the essential kitchen appliances, and it’s used daily. Unfortunately, the answer to the question “Can your Vitamix go in the dishwasher?” is a bit more complicated than a simple yes or no. In this article, we’ll explore the issue in depth, so you can make an informed decision about whether or not your Vitamix is dishwasher-safe. We’ll look at the components of the Vitamix and discuss the pros and cons of putting it in the dishwasher. We’ll also provide tips on the best way to clean and maintain your Vitamix, so you can keep it running like new for years to come.
Can Your Vitamix Go In The Dishwasher?
No, you can’t put your Vitamix in the dishwasher. Your Vitamix blender comprises several parts, like the container, the lid, and the blades, that are not dishwasher-safe. In addition to the parts being unsafe to put in the dishwasher, it’s also not a good idea to put any electric appliance in the dishwasher because of the heat and strong detergents used. It’s also possible that moisture could get into the motor and cause it to short out.
Components Of Vitamix
- The Motor Base: The motor base of a Vitamix should never be submerged in water. This is because the motor base contains electrical components that could be damaged if they get wet.
- The Container and Lid: The container and lid of the Vitamix are both made from durable plastic and can generally handle being put in the dishwasher. However, it’s important to note that some models may not be dishwasher-safe, so check the manufacturer’s instructions before putting your Vitamix in the dishwasher.
- Other Accessories: Any other accessories that come with your Vitamix (such as a tamper, spatula, or cookbook) are usually not designed to go in the dishwasher and should be washed by hand instead.
- Blade Assembly: The blade assembly should never be put in the dishwasher, as the heat and water pressure could damage it.
Pros Of Putting Vitamix In The Dishwasher
- Easier to Clean: The most obvious pro of putting your Vitamix in the dishwasher is that it makes cleaning the blender much easier. All you have to do is pop it in the dishwasher, turn it on, and let the machine do its job.
- Kills Germs: Dishwashers also use hot water and detergents to kill germs and bacteria, so you can be sure that your Vitamix is thoroughly cleaned every time you put it in the dishwasher.
- Saves Time: Cleaning your Vitamix by hand can take a long time, especially if you deal with many ingredients. Putting it in the dishwasher will drastically reduce the amount of time it takes to get your blender clean.
- Preserves the Blender: Since the dishwasher uses hot water and detergent to clean your blender, it can help preserve your Vitamix by removing any food particles or residue that could damage the blades or motor over time.
- Prevents Smells: The hot water and detergent used in the dishwasher will also help keep your blender from developing any unpleasant odors.
Cons Of Putting Vitamix In The Dishwasher
- Damage to Parts: One of the biggest cons of putting your Vitamix in the dishwasher is that it can potentially damage some of its plastic parts. The heat and steam from a dishwasher can cause warping or cracking in some components, which could lead to leaks or other issues.
- Detergents Could Damage Motor: Many dishwashing detergents contain chemicals not meant to come into contact with electrical components like those found in a Vitamix blender. These chemicals could damage or corrode the motor over time, leading to costly repairs or replacements.
- Not Recommended by Manufacturer: Most importantly, Vitamix doesn’t recommend putting your blender in the dishwasher. This is because it could damage the components and void the warranty if something were to go wrong.
Tips On Cleaning And Maintaining Your Vitamix
- Clean the container of your Vitamix blender immediately after use.
- Use soapy water and a soft cloth or sponge to wipe down the exterior of the blender.
- Use a damp cloth to clean the blades in between uses.
- Avoid using abrasive cleaners, as these can damage the surface of your blender over time.
- If you need a cleaner, make sure it’s designed explicitly for blenders, like Vitamix’s own cleaning solution or another brand designed for blenders.
- If you’re having trouble cleaning the container of your Vitamix, fill it with warm, soapy water and let it soak for a few minutes before scrubbing it with a soft cloth or sponge.
- Make sure to rinse the container thoroughly after cleaning.
- After you’ve finished cleaning your Vitamix, make sure to dry all parts thoroughly before storing them away.
- Regularly check for signs of wear and tear on the blades and other components of your blender, and replace any worn parts as needed.
What Is The Best Way To Clean A Vitamix?
Keep the Vitamix Clean
The best way to clean your Vitamix is to wash it after each use. This will help prevent the buildup of food particles and oils, which can lead to unpleasant odors and tastes.
Use Warm Water and Soap
Simply rinse the blender with warm water and a few drops of liquid dish soap. Avoid using abrasive sponges or brushes that could scratch the surface of the container or blade assembly.
Wipe Down with a Damp Cloth
Once you’ve rinsed off the blender, wipe down the container and lid with a damp cloth to remove any remaining residue. Dry both pieces thoroughly before putting them away.
Clean Once Per Week
If you use your Vitamix regularly, it’s a good idea to give it a thorough cleaning once per week. To do this, fill the container with warm water and a few drops of liquid dish soap and blend on the highest setting for one minute. Rinse and wipe down as described above.
Descale the Blades
Over time, minerals from hard water can build up on the blades of your Vitamix, reducing its efficiency. To remove these deposits, fill the container with warm water and a few drops of vinegar and blend for one minute. Rinse and wipe down as described above.
Use a Gentle Cleaner
If you need to clean your Vitamix more thoroughly, use a gentle cleaner such as baking soda or white vinegar. Fill the container with warm water and a few drops of your chosen cleaner and blend on the highest setting for one minute. Rinse and wipe down as described above.
How To Clean A Vitamix By Hand
- Unplug and disassemble your Vitamix. Remove the blade assembly, lid, and container.
- Rinse the components in warm water to remove any food residue or particles.
- Use a non-abrasive sponge or cloth to scrub away any stuck-on food particles or residue from the container, lid, and blade assembly.
- Fill a large bowl with hot water and a few drops of dish soap or detergent. Submerge the components in the soapy water for 15 minutes to help loosen any stubborn residue.
- Rinse off all of the components with warm water until all soap is removed and they are completely clean and dry before reassembling your Vitamix blender.
- To clean the base of your Vitamix, use a damp cloth and mild detergent. Wipe the base clean and dry with a soft cloth.
Cleaning Tips For Specific Vitamix Models
- Vitamix 5200: This model is the most popular Vitamix blender, and it’s not dishwasher-safe. To clean it, remove the blade and rinse with warm, soapy water. You can also use a soft brush to get into hard-to-reach areas.
- Vitamix Pro 750: The Pro 750 is a newer model, and it’s not dishwasher-safe, either. To clean it, unscrew the blade from the base and rinse with warm, soapy water. You can also use a soft brush to get into hard-to-reach areas.
- Vitamix Explorian Series: The Explorian Series is designed for commercial use and is not dishwasher-safe either. To clean it, unscrew the blade from the base and rinse with warm, soapy water. You can also use a soft brush to get into hard-to-reach areas.
- Vitamix Ascent Series: The Ascent Series is the newest model and is dishwasher-safe. To clean it, simply place all components in the top rack of your dishwasher and run it on a regular cycle.
Knowing whether or not you can put your Vitamix in the dishwasher is essential. Generally speaking, it’s not recommended to put your Vitamix in the dishwasher, as the high temperatures and harsh chemicals can damage the components. However, some newer models may be dishwasher-safe, so it’s essential to check your owner’s manual before putting your Vitamix in the dishwasher. Additionally, there are a few steps you can take to ensure that your Vitamix is properly cleaned and maintained, such as cleaning it after every use and storing it in a cool, dry place. Following these tips, you can keep your Vitamix running like new for years.