Did you know that mixing and matching pillows is a simple way to give your home an instant makeover? A fresh look with minimal effort — that’s the magic of this small but effective home decor hack. You won’t need to spend a ton of cash on new pillows if you want to shake up the look of your sofa. By combining different ones, or even the same pillow in different ways, you can give any room a new lease of life without spending much money. Read on for some useful tips on how to mix and match pillows on a sofa.
How To Mix And Match Pillows On A Sofa?
Decide on a Colour Scheme
The first step in mixing and matching pillows on your sofa is deciding on a colour scheme. This will help you decide which textures and patterns are best for you. Even though your sofa is one of the most important pieces in your room, it doesn’t need to be the star of the show. Instead, it’s the accessories that can really make or break the room. Your colour scheme can be as simple as choosing a neutral sofa and then adding other neutral items like throw blankets, rugs, and decorative items. This way, you can easily change your look with the seasons or as your taste changes over time. Or you could go for something bolder. A colour scheme with a lot of variety and contrast can be both exciting and beautiful. Just be sure to choose colours that complement each other and will last over time.
Choose the Sofa and Pillows Together
One of the best ways to mix and match pillows on your sofa is to choose the sofa and pillows at the same time. Ideally, you will be able to find a sofa with a removable back so you can easily swap out pillows as the seasons change. For example, in the fall and winter when people tend to be indoors more, you can add a warm blanket or throw, a decorative pillow, or a few different types of decorative cushions to the sofa. In the spring and summer, you can swap out those items for lightweight throw pillows or decorative cushions that are more lightweight or textured.
Match Plain Shaped Pillows
If you prefer a more minimalist and classic design, you can match plain shaped pillows on your sofa. This is a great way to add a little more to your sofa without getting too fancy. For example, you can use a few decorative pillows on the sofa and then add a throw blanket or a shawl that is one colour and texture. Another option is to match pillows with some type of pattern that, while still matching your other decorations, is a little less bold. A great example of this might be matching a pattern on your sofa with a pattern on your throw blankets or decorative pillows.
Mix Shaped and Stuffed Pillows
If you prefer a more modern and bold design, you can mix and match shaped and stuffed pillows on your sofa. This is a great way to add a lot of colour and texture without overloading the room. By mixing different sized and shaped pillows, you can create a unique look that is still cohesive and balanced with the rest of your decorations. For example, you could match a larger, square pillow on the sofa with smaller, square throw pillows. You could also add in some decorative pillows with patterns like triangles or different geometric shapes.
Mix and Match Different Shapes and Sizes
If you love a specific decorative pillow and want it to be the centrepiece of your design, you can mix and match different shapes and sizes of it on your sofa. This is a great way to make the most of one decorative item while also keeping your sofa balanced. For example, if you love a large decorative pillow but you want to keep the rest of your sofa simple, you can put the large pillow on one side of the sofa and then add a plain square pillow on the other side. You can also add smaller versions of the same decorative pillow to other areas of the sofa, like the back of the sofa or an armchair.
Why Mix And Match Pillows?
- There are many reasons why you might want to mix and match your sofa pillows. For example, if you have mismatched sofas, you can use different pillow types and colours to draw attention away from the fact that the sofas don’t match.
- You can also use different pillow types and colours to draw attention to specific areas of the room. If you have a sofa that is being overshadowed by a large wall-mounted TV, you can use different pillows to ‘bring the sofa to the fore’ again.
- If your sofa is already a ‘match’ but you want to freshen it up a little, you can use different pillows to do just that. Simply choosing a different colour or pattern for the pillows can completely change the look of the sofa.
- You can also use different pillows to create different moods in different rooms. For example, a few brightly coloured cushions in a living room can give the space a playful look, while a couple of solid-coloured pillows in a bedroom can create a calm, restful space.
When To Mix And Match Pillows On A Sofa?
- In general, the best time to mix and match your sofa pillows is when you’re rearranging furniture or redecorating. While it’s easier to find a matching set of sofa pillows, it’s not always necessary to do so. If you’re switching up the look of your sofa or trying out a new colour scheme, you can use different pillow types and colours to achieve the desired effect.
- If you’re simply refreshing the look of your sofa, you can use different pillow types and colours to create a new look. If you want to create a more minimalist look for your living room, for example, you can opt for solid-coloured sofa pillows.
- If you want to create a more playful look for your living room, you can opt for patterned sofa pillows. If you want to give your bedroom a more calming look, you can opt for solid-coloured pillow types. If you want to give your bedroom a more energetic look, you can opt for patterned pillow types.
Which Pillows To Mix And Match Together?
- It’s important to consider the colours of the different pillows you want to mix and match. If you want to create a minimalist look in your living room, for example, choose solid-coloured sofa pillows in colours such as grey, black, or white.
- You can then use patterned pillow types to brighten up the rest of the room. If you want to create a playful look for your living room, you can use patterned sofa pillows in colours such as red, blue, or green.
- You can then use solid-coloured pillow types to draw attention away from the sofa. If you want to create a calming look for your bedroom, you can choose solid-coloured pillow types in neutral shades such as brown, grey, or cream.
- You can then use patterned pillow types in colours such as blue, red, or green to brighten up the room. If you want to create an energetic look for your bedroom, you can use patterned sofa pillows in colours such as red, blue, or green.
- You can then use solid-coloured pillow types in neutral shades to draw attention away from the sofa.
How To Choose The Right Type Of Pillows For Your Sofa?
- The type of pillows you choose for your sofa will depend on the overall look you want to achieve. If you want to create a minimalist look, you can opt for solid-coloured, square-shaped cushions.
- If you want to create a playful look, you can opt for patterned, square-shaped cushions. If you want to create a calming look, you can opt for solid-coloured, rectangular-shaped cushions.
- If you want to create an energetic look, you can opt for patterned, rectangular-shaped cushions. Square-shaped sofa pillows are perfect for creating a minimalist look, as they draw attention to the sofa itself.
- Rectangular-shaped pillows can be used to break up the lines of the sofa, drawing attention away from it while still creating a minimalist look.
- Patterned, rectangular-shaped pillows can be used to add interest and energy to the room, while neutral, rectangular-shaped pillows can be used to create a calming look.
Mixing and matching your sofa pillows is an easy way to create a new look for any room in your home. You don’t need to spend a lot of money on new pillows, either. Simply choose a few different types of sofa pillows, and use them in different ways. By mixing and matching your sofa pillows, you can create a new look for any room in your home with minimal effort.