If you are moving into a new place and need to take your refrigerator with you, there may be some challenges. Most fridges are delivered with wheels that will not damage the floors if they are placed down on them. Unfortunately, most apartments come with wooden flooring or other sensitive floorings that cannot handle the weight of a heavy fridge. In this case, the only way to move it is by lifting it and moving it across the floor. However, this is easier said than done; especially when it comes to protecting your floor from scratches and dents in the process. The good news is that there are plenty of ways that you can get your fridge out easily without damaging your flooring in any way. Here are some ideas on how you can lift and move your fridge without scratching or denting the floor underneath it.
How To Move Fridge Without Scratching Floor
1. Place the fridge on a wooden pallet
The first thing you need to do is place your fridge on top of a wooden pallet. The pallet will protect the floor from getting damaged and will also allow you to move it easily. Here are some tips on how to get your fridge on top of a pallet.
2. Lay it down flat with the front facing up
You should first lay your fridge down flat with its front facing up, as this will make it easier for you to lift it and move it across the floor without damaging the floor underneath it. You can then start lifting the fridge and moving it across the floor until you get to your destination or until you feel comfortable enough that you have lifted enough weight from the flooring so that there is no damage or denting left behind when you are done moving your fridge across the floor. If you find that your fridge is too heavy for lifting at all, then consider looking for help from someone who can help you lift it.
3. Lift the fridge with your hands
Lifting the fridge with your hands will allow you to move it across the floor in a very easy way. You should start lifting the fridge by placing one hand underneath it and then lifting it with both of your hands until you feel that you have lifted enough weight from the floor so that there is no denting or scratching left behind in the process. If you find that your fridge is too heavy for lifting at all, then consider looking for help from someone who can help you lift it up without damaging your flooring at all.
4. Lifting by a friend or family member
If you do not have any friends or family members who are willing to help, then consider using a furniture dolly to lift and move your fridge across the floor without damaging your flooring in any way at all. The good thing about using a furniture dolly is that they will be ableift the fridge in front of you to allow your hands to fit underneath it. You should then use your hands to lift it until it is in the right spot where you can move it across the floor. Once you have gotten your fridge on top of a pallet, you should then place it down flat again with its front facing up. This will make it easy for you to lift and move it across the floor without damaging the floor underneath it.
5. Use a step stool or ladder
If lifting with your hands is not an option for you because of how heavy your fridge is, then consider getting a step stool or ladder so that you can easily lift and move your fridge across the floor without damaging the floor underneath it. If this is not possible for whatever reason, then get someone who can help lift and move your fridge across the floor since they will be able to do this much easier than you can if they are using their hands to do so as well as lifting it the fridge on top of a box or something that can support your fridge and then lift it up with your hands. This will make it easier for you to move the fridge across the floor without damaging the floor underneath it.
Mark The Floor With Tape
- Mark the floor where you want your fridge to be placed with tape. Make sure that this is a large enough area so that you can move the fridge but not too large that it covers up any important areas of your flooring. You should also mark the area where you will place your fridge to ensure that it does not fall into any crevices or holes in the floor.
- Position your fridge on top of the marked area so that you can see if it fits properly and if there are no holes or crevices into which it could fall into.
- Move your fridge across the floor until you are satisfied with how it looks and feels before placing it down in its final position on the floor where it will stay for the rest of its life.
Masking Tape And Cardboard
- Masking tape and cardboard are a great way to protect your floor from any damage while moving the refrigerator. You can use masking tape to cover all the exposed wood on the floor and then place a piece of cardboard underneath it to provide extra protection. It is important that you do not go for too thick of a layer of cardboard; otherwise, it will make it harder for you to lift your fridge.
- Some people also use an old mattress or carpet pad as the layer beneath their fridge. If you have one lying around, using this method will be very simple and effective. However, make sure that you do not place an old mattress under your fridge if it has been in contact with any chemicals or cleaners because they can cause mildew on the mattress and create an unpleasant smell in your house afterward.
- If you do not have any padding laying around, then you can just use a thin blanket or pad underneath your fridge to protect the floor from being damaged during the move.
- Another option is to use a piece of carpet, which is more expensive but will ensure that your floor will not get damaged.
- The last option is to simply buy some new flooring and lay it down on the spot where you are moving your fridge. This may be a little more expensive, but it will ensure that your floor remains in good condition after the move, and you will not have to worry about any scratches from moving the fridge across the floor.
Turn On Your Oven And Use The Heat
- Turn on your oven and turn the temperature up to about 200 degrees.
- Place a towel or thin blanket underneath your fridge so that it is slightly elevated from the floor.
- Place a pot of hot water underneath your fridge to keep the heat in the oven and prevent damage to your floor if there is any.
- Use a strong metal pipe or pole and place it underneath your fridge so that you can lift it up with ease without damaging your floors.
- If you have raised floors, then you can use a step ladder to get under the fridge and lift it up using this method as well, without damaging the flooring underneath it at all!
Use A Dolly Or Hand Truck
- Use a dolly or hand truck to lift the fridge and move it across the floor.
- Place the dolly or hand truck underneath the fridge and place it on the floor.
- Lift up the fridge and place it on top of the dolly or hand truck.
- Place your feet underneath to lift up the fridge and move it across your flooring.
There are plenty of options available when it comes to lifting your fridge off the floor. From ovens to hand trucks, there is no shortage of ways to protect your floor. Protecting your floor is important and can help to extend the life of your flooring. So, when moving your fridge, make sure to choose one of the methods above that will help to protect your floor in the process. And remember, no matter what, you will have to put in a little extra effort when compared to someone just wheeling your fridge through the front door!