If you live in an apartment with a small parking lot or a single-family home with a driveway, chances are you’ll have to deal with other people using your driveway — and not always politely. In many instances, this can be frustrating, especially if you need to leave at the same time as your neighbors. However, there are ways to make sure that people know they aren’t welcome to use your driveway without asking for permission first. Here are some tips on how to stop people from parking in front of your house.
How To Stop People Parking In Front Of Your House
1. Write a note to your neighbors
First and foremost, if you’re going to be gone for a while, you can’t rely on a note taped to your door. You need to tell your neighbors that you’re not going to be home during their stay.
2. Be friendly but firm
Doing so will help communicate your message while not being rude or overly aggressive, which could scare off the person who is parked in front of your house in the first place. If you have an interaction with the person who is parked in front of your house, make it as brief as possible and leave it at that; don’t get into a lengthy discussion about why they shouldn’t park there or ask them to move their car immediately. This will only make them feel like they have power over you and that they can do whatever they want when it comes to parking in front of your house without asking permission first. It will also make them think you’re a pushover and that you’ll let them park anywhere they want.
3. Call your neighbors
If you don’t have the time or energy to write a note, then calling your neighbors will be another way to communicate with them about the issue at hand. If you’re going to use this approach, it’s best to call before the situation arises rather than wait until someone is parked in front of your house in order for them to hear about it from their neighbor who was already parked in front of their neighbor’s house and waiting for the situation to arise.
4. Write a note on your car’s windshield
If none of the above options work, then try writing a note on your car windshield as a last resort option. This will show everyone else parked behind you that they can no longer park there without asking first; however, it won’t necessarily be house.
Put Up A Sign
- If you live in a single-family home, put up a sign that clearly specifies when parking is permitted on your driveway. You can use the same sign you use for days when you don’t have people over, or create a new sign that states “Please park in the driveway only” or “No parking on the driveway.”
- If you live in an apartment building, consider putting up a sign that states that no one can park in front of your house without permission. Of course, if there is a waiting list for parking, this may not be a feasible solution.
- If you live in an apartment building, consider putting up a sign that states your street address and the time of day when you are expecting guests. You can also include the phone number of your building manager or security guard on this sign as well. You can make this sign with a dry-erase marker or by using chalkboard paint on your driveway so it will last longer than if you simply write the information on it with chalk.
- If you live in an apartment building, consider putting up a sign that states “No parking on the driveway without permission” or “No parking on the driveway after 10 p.m.,” unless you have prior permission from management to parking there at that time of night.
Block The Entrance With Something
- If your driveway is a one- or two-car-wide space, you may want to consider blocking the entrance with something. This will make it clear to people that they aren’t welcome.
- You can try using a large rock or a heavy piece of wood, but be careful not to block the path completely to your house. Also, if you have a driveway that curves around the side of your home, be sure not to block the entrance at any point along its length.
- If you have a higher rise and don’t want people parking in front of your house, consider installing a gate or fence that will keep them from coming up to your door. However, be sure it is sturdy enough that it won’t easily get knocked over by vehicles driving by.
What Are The Laws Around Parking In Front Of Someone’s House?
- If you live in a city, county, or state jurisdiction and you have a driveway, you are legally allowed to park in front of your house — as long as it’s not blocking traffic. In most cases, parking on the street is prohibited.
- If you live in a municipality with a public right-of-way, such as the City of Chicago, parking is generally permitted on the street outside your house if there’s enough room and if it doesn’t block any intersections or driveways. However, if you live within one mile of a “parking meter zone” (generally considered to be within two blocks of a metered area) then it is illegal for any vehicle to park in that area for more than three hours at any time.
- If you live in an apartment building that has a common driveway shared by multiple units, such as an apartment complex with four units per floor or an apartment building with five units on each floor, then you are usually allowed to park in front of your house. The only exception is if the driveway is used by multiple cars and it’s blocking traffic.
- If you have a single-family home with a driveway, then parking on the street is prohibited unless there’s enough room to park two or more cars side-by-side, or the driveway is shared by multiple people — such as if there’s a car parked in the driveway at all times, even when it’s not being used.
- If you live in an apartment building with shared driveways and parking lots for each unit, then you are allowed to park your car outside your door — but not blocking traffic or stopping other cars from getting into their assigned spaces on the lot. However, parking in front of any other resident’s unit without permission is illegal, and both residents may be fined for doing so.
There are a few ways to make sure that other people know not to park in front of your house. You can put up a sign, mark your driveway with paint, or install a gate. You can also put up brighter lights, spray paint the area around your driveway, or block the entrance with something.